Friday, June 28, 2019

Final Farewell to Reed Lynn Rasmussen

This is perhaps the hardest post I have had to write. After the prior posts you can see that my dad became gravely ill, with a failure to thrive. He finally was able to pass through the veil, join my mother who passed away 18 years before, and finally be free from a body tired of life. What a tender mercy though that he would now be free. 

I weathered my mothers passing, without someone by my side. Serving then as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I rejoiced in having the power of the Holy Ghost help me immediately during that hard time. I had the same tender mercy now, but I had an additional blessing...Heather! I was so happy she could come with me, and with some friends that were so generous to help with the kids, we boarded a plane again and went again 7000 miles home. 



After arriving and being sweetly picked up by the best mother in the world we made it to our hotel for some rest. The next day we attended the family viewing service, which was very very special. We spent the entire times sharing stories, which thanks to my aunt's and uncle's I was able to learn things about my dad I never knew. 

The next day was the funeral...a very hard but happy day. I was asked to give the eulogy, which I spent hours trying to write. I had three versions prepared, and knowing how vital it is to prepare very carefully, but deliver very carefully. It was an honour to me to share my testimony of my dad, which I did with as much humor, honesty and humility as I could. My dad had many imperfections, like I do, but looking like him, speaking like him, and thinking like him, I was honoured to stand for and behalf of him to address his life. Paris Cluff gave the talk to the plan of salvation, doctrinally sound and well done. I was especially happy to have Brandon there with me. As the only other person in the family who has worn the uniform of the Air Force, I was honoured to be our blues together to honour our dad. Brandon joked about how tight it fit now - haha! Mine fit fine!



Heather was so amazingly supportive during this time. She was able to see her family who also came to support me in all of this. Lisa came all the way down from Idaho just to see Heather, which was very special.

At the conclusion we made the way to the burial plot. I am frustrated that he was buried across town from where my mom is, and not buried next to her but with Lydia's plot. Not cool in my mind but what I can say, she took over everything.



Brandon and I decided ahead of time to render our final salutes to my dad. This was so hard for me to do, and made everyone cry. I have never stood with Brandon like this before, and although he always hints about how bad he is, he was wonderful for me in this moment.



We went though the final procession, and then my uncle Richard dedicated the grave of my father. I loved being around so many men of the priesthood, and knowing I was one of them. I were two uniforms in my life, one for America and one for my Savior Jesus Christ. 



One thing that bummed me out was that my little brother Darren didn't make it. I will only go as far as that, but I loved seeing my siblings!




When all was said and done there were a few things Heather and I wanted to do: Cold Stone and Cafe Rio!!! So we needed a little bit of some pick me up, so off we went to brighten the moment with some ice cream.



Every time Heather and I go back to Fresno we revisit a sacred place, the Fresno Temple! The temple is a very sacred place that heather and I were sealed for time and all eternity, and here coming home to Fresno means coming home to the Temple that has brought my family the opportunity to be together forever. We did an endowment session with Lisa, Mom and Dad and Grandpa Taylor. It was fun sitting next to Grandpa Taylor because he is so deaf he just talks at normal levels in places where you are supposed to whisper!



We went out to lunch after together, which started our whirlwind tour of spending every moment we could with family. From restaurants to houses, to night time chats, it was moment after moment of making the most of what matters most: family. Elder M. Russell Ballard said: "That which lasts the longest is the most important," and these final concluding moments were just that - amazing family moments.



Yes those are Root beers!



This weekend was a sacred moment, traveling the world with my best friend to celebrate a man that I owe a life time of help. I love my dad, imperfections and one arm in all, and I was honoured to not only show my gratitude for him, but my testimony of Jesus Christ, his perfect role in peace in our lives, and his complete success in overcoming the sting of death. I hold to that promise, and try to live worthy of the woman by side that I have been blessed for sharing eternity with. Thank you Heather for your tender support this time!


No comments:

Post a Comment